Outreach and giving are an important part of our school ethos. We seek to support several charities each year locally, nationally and internationally.
We have two charities captains and a representative from each of the Houses, who chose the charities for the year and then oversea a range of fund raising activities. Each House is responsible for some fundraising within the year. The students have staged cake stalls, colour runs, musical events, dinner dances, staff dodge ball tournaments, rose sales, and quizzes all in the name of charity.
Each year the School chooses charities that are the focal point of our fundraising efforts; one supported by our Lower School pupils, two supported by our Upper School pupils and one chosen by the Sixth Form. This year's charities are;
- Young Somerset
- Cancer Research UK
- Water Aid
We focus our fundraising efforts in order to build up really strong links between the school and a charity over the course of a year, enabling our children to learn more about how and where their fundraising is spent and also to prevent ‘charity fatigue’.
Wellington School pupils are regularly involved in fundraising activities, raising money for local, national and international charities, as well as our own Friends Funds. The School has raised many thousands of pounds from events such as concerts, dinners, auctions, sales and appeals.
Charities that have benefitted
- National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society
- Royal Navy, Royal Airforce and Army Benevolent Fund
- Children's Oncology Unit - Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital
- Somerset ACF Community Cadets
- Living with Aphasia
- Dorset & Somerset Air Ambulance
- Children's Hospice South West
- Comic Relief
- Sierra Leone Relief Fund
- Children in Need Day with Mufti Day, Hot Chocolate and Donut Stall, Waterbombing Staff, Busking
- ARC Taunton Association for the Homless Christmas Shoebox Appeal
- Community Council of Somerset Chapel Christmas Hamper/Foodbank Appeal
- Inner Wheel Charity Concert
- Brainwave Charity Concert
- Royal British Legion Poppy Concert
- Fund raising events held at School (eg Nepal Disaster / School in a box / Harvest collections taken to local food bank)
- French Café run by Prep School to raise money for School charity