The Chapel has been at the heart of the School since its dedication in 1931 and has played, and continues to play, a significant role within the life of the School. Built by George Corner as a memorial to those who died in the First World War.
“To the Glory of God and in memory of those Old Boys who, for the sake of Liberty, laid down their lives in the Great War, this Monument is built by the Care of their Schoolfellows and Friends.”
These words are engraved on the Foundation Stone of the Chapel and serve as a reminder to us of the sentiment in which the Chapel was conceived and built with the generosity of those associated with the School.
The School undertakes the general day to day maintenance of the Chapel but there are significant costs involved in the upkeep of such a magnificent building and therefore we have established an on-going Chapel Fund to allow major maintenance works to be undertaken as necessary.
After 80 years, the south windows required significant maintenance. These have been carefully restored over the last few years using a high level of quality stonemasonry and glass, the latter of which is now only made in France.
Currently the west window over the Altar is need of repair and, as in the case of the south windows, requires great care and attention to ensure that it is brought back to its former glory and for it to last for many more decades. In addition to this the pinnacles on the roof of the Chapel have started to crumble and again will need specialist craftsmen to repair them.
We would be extremely grateful for any donation which you are able to give to allow us to preserve our wonderful Chapel and to keep it as a place of worship for future generations of students.
To donate to the Chapel Fund please use the link www.virginmoneygiving.com/fund/wellingtonschoolchapel